Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It's another of those days again...

I'm sitting in front of my office computer now, and finding it so hard to get through a day @ work. After I finished my last exams in May, I immediately started this job. At first, I was so enthusiastic about going to work every morning, but now I think it might have been a pretty bad job match. I have no issues with colleagues and co-workers because most of them are very friendly. The problem is that I feel that the current job scope is waaaaay off what I was made to expect during the job interview. It doesn't help either that I don't really have anyone to mentor me, and I'm literally starting from scratch, nil, zero, nadda. Making a LOT of mistakes along the way as well, and I feel really overshadowed by my high-flying colleague.

I've had much thoughts about this in the last 2 or 3 weeks, and after speaking to my family, I am now seriously considering quitting my job and learning baking professionally. This is not the first time that this has crossed my mind, given how much I love to fiddle around in the kitchen, but I've never ever really imagined I'd ever dare to make that step. To me, I feel that there's a certain uncertainty (for lack of a better expression!), and that I may be disappointing my parents. They have invested so much money to put me through university, and instead of putting my degree to good use, I run away to learn baking? But the other day I was a seminar by Le Cordon Bleu, and I met one of the owners of 2am dessert bar, a new dessert cafe in Holland V. She was also from the same university as me, but she realised that baking was her eventual passion and she left for Paris to study patisserie after she graduated. She says she has no regrets at all. Should I do the same?

3 comments:

Chawanmushi said...

Hi jam cookie
I understand you just started work and you are in the process of adjusting to work expectations.. yes? Maybe you need to give your self more time to find out what life is like as a baking professional ... at the same time build up your contacts in this baking line too. Meanwhile you may need to use your talents to pay off your debt to your parents for the next two years before deciding finally switching totally over to another profession ...then you won't feel guilty about wasting your parents money :-)
I'm sure as a parent ...I won't want my child to feel miserable at a profession she detests going into every morning for work.

hth

Edith said...

you are still young. go with your heart. At least you are arm with a degree, you can continue where you left off should your passion died. But I doubt it will. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jam

Life is full of risks. You've got to give yourself a chance to try. Yes, you're right - decisions aren't easy to make if you've got a family & lots of other issues to consider before leaping. Parents will understand. As long as you're happy, it will be worth it. Happiness is illusive & if you can find it, life is definitely much better.

Good luck.
Ling (Syd)